On the Auto and Shop Knowledge sections of the ASVAB, you will be expected to answer a variety of multiple choice questions concerning auto mechanics and wood shop. Pick the best answer on the questions below:
1. What system of an automobile or truck determines the vehicle’s cornering ability and ride stiffness?
a. Steering system
b. Braking system
c. Electrical system
d. Suspension system
2. The purpose of a transfer case is to
a. make a vehicle ride more smoothly.
b. make the steering more responsive to driver input.
c. distribute power to front and rear wheels in a 4 x 4 vehicle.
d. shorten the braking distance.
3. The reason a particular quarter inch nut may not fit a particular quarter inch bolt is because
a. they may be of different thread classifications.
b. a quarter inch bolt is incompatible with a quarter inch nut of the same size.
c. the metal alloys from which the nut and bolt are made may cause the nut to “seize.”
d. quarter-inch bolts require a nut of a slightly larger size to fit.
4. The “kerf” is
a. a type of wood file.
b. the angle of the blade on a circular saw.
c. a slot or cut made by the blade of a saw as it cuts into the wood.
d. a term of measurement used in vehicle wheel alignment.
5. It would be better to use thick viscosity motor oil in
a. cold climates (makes vehicle startups easier).
b. tropical climates (engine heat build-up).
c. Eastern United States.
d. four-wheel drive vehicles.
6. The part of the motor vehicle electric system which distributes the “spark” to the various combustion cylinders is the
b. rotor and distributor assembly.
c. injection system.
d. ignition coil.
7. A “punch” is used for
a. hammering knots from wooden objects.
b. marking metal or wooden objects to prepare for drilling or other activities and for driving small headed nails.
c. filing the sharp edges of metal or wooden objects.
d. drilling holes.
8. For a better grip on a “stubborn” fastener nut, it is better to use
a. an adjustable wrench.
b. an open-end wrench.
c. a box-end wrench.
d. a pipe wrench.